How to Apply for a Visa
How to lodge a paper application
Application forms, booklets and information forms can be downloaded as a PDF file from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website. You will require Adobe Acrobat Reader software to view and print the forms and booklets.
Applications for the following visa types from applicants in Japan will generally be processed at the Australian Embassy in Seoul, Republic of Korea:
- Temporary Residence
Where to send an application:
If you wish to avoid delays, we recommend that you send your application directly to the Australian Embassy in Seoul. Payment for applications lodged directly to the Australian Embassy in Seoul must be made by credit card. For contact details of the Australian Embassy in Seoul,
Visa Office, Australian Embassy Seoul
19th Floor, Kyobo Building
Jongro- Gu 110-714
Republic of Korea
If paying by postal money order, you will need to send your application to the Australian Embassy in Tokyo. Please note, however, that this may cause significant delays in processing of your application, as we will need to forward your application to Seoul for processing. Please note that the Seoul office cannot accept direct payment by postal money order in Japanese Yen.
Visa Office, Australian Embassy
2-1-14 Mita, Minato-ku
The counter will be open BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. We recommend that you apply online or by mail to avoid waiting times. Appointments can be made by telephone.
Please pay for your application with credit card (in AUD only) or postal money order (yubin kawase). Visa application charges can be found at the following links:
See: Visa Application Charges and Processing Service Standards
If paying by credit card in Australian Dollars:
- Acceptable credit cards are VISA, Mastercard, AMEX and Diners Club. Please complete your credit card details in the Payment Details part of the application form.
- You must write the Australian Dollar amount for which you authorise payment in the "Payment details" on your application form. If you leave this part blank, your application will not be accepted.
- If paying by credit card in Australian Dollars you may incur banking and currency conversion fees and you accept the risk associated with any currency fluctuations.
If paying by postal money order in Japanese Yen:
- When obtaining postal money orders, please purchase one money order for the full amount you wish to pay (futsu kawase), rather than several money orders for a set amount (teigaku kogawase).
- Please do not write anything on the money order before enclosing it with your application.
Australia's modern electronic visa system does not require you to have a visa label placed in your passport to confirm your immigration status and entitlements in Australia. Therefore, there is no need for you to send your original passport to this office. Instead, please provide a copy (preferably certified) of the photo and biodata pages of your passport with your application.
All documents not in English must be accompanied by English translations. Please see http://www.naati.com.au for a list of accredited translators, or use a professional translator. The translation must be either on company letterhead or must have the translator's official company stamp/seal and must include their contact details.